|"We have to let the warrior code rule our hearts. The death of a warrior does not mean victory."|
|— Petalshine to Smokeflower in The Forgotten Warrior, page 314-315|
|Age:||approx. 70 moons (5.8 years)|
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
|Living:||Cats of the Clans, Battles of the Clans, The Ultimate Guide, Whitefeather's Wish, The Sight, Dark River, Outcast, Eclipse, Long Shadows, Sunrise, Petalshine's Story, The Fourth Apprentice, Fading Echoes, Brindlestar's Omen, Night Whispers, Sign of the Moon, The Forgotten Warrior, The Last Hope, Gorsestar's Storm, The Apprentice's Quest, Thunder and Shadow, Shattered Sky|
In the Super Edition Arc Edit
Gorsestar's Storm Edit
- Petalshine is busy organizing hunting patrols with Cinderwhisker. Petalshine already sent out a patrol and decides to send out another, with Hollypool in the lead. Petalshine sees Birdpaw carrying a huge bundle of wet moss to the elders' den, and tells her not to bring it there. She joins the other cats after Petalshine's patrol returns to tell them about ShadowClan's scent inside their territory. Petalshine is chosen by Gorsestar to visit ShadowClan, along with Grayfoot and Mosscloud. When they are on their way, Petalshine suggests to Gorsestar about doubling the patrols and hunting more by the border, and he agrees. Petalshine is also happy to see Whitefeather checking on the catmint at the abandoned Twoleg nest. When Snowstar denies that his cats were in ThunderClan's territory, Petalshine asks if they don't know ShadowClan scent when they smell it. Petalshine also reveals to Gorsestar she doesn't trust Brackenwhisker, for he was in the Dark Forest. She and her patrol head back to their border without being escorted, when Nutwhisker emerges behind them. She asks the patrol how their medicine cats are doing, and Petalshine replies, but Gorsestar interrupts her. She is told by Gorsestar that they have to stick to their own Clans.
- More Coming Soon
- In the manga at the end of the book, Petalshine isn't feeling too good. Gorsestar is worried, but Petalshine insists that she is fine, so she carries on with her duties. When she and Gorsestar go for a walk one night, Rosecloud speaks to her, and Petalshine asks if she is sick. Rosecloud declines and disappears. Gorsestar nudges her and asks if she's okay, and she happily squeals yes. Petalshine has just found out she is having Pinetail's kits.
In the Power of Three Arc Edit
The Sight Edit
- Petalkit is a young ThunderClan kit, introduced as the daughter of Frostnose and Gorsefur, the ThunderClan deputy. She has two sisters, who are named Nightkit and Squirrelkit. She and her sisters are first seen playing with a dead mouse outside the den. After they are done playing with the mouse, she finds her sister has discovered a rotten piece of prey- a wren. She squeaks in disgust and shock at the amount of maggots in the piece of prey.
- While Gorsefur sends out patrols to search for the fox dens, Petalkit, Squirrelkit, and Nightkit ask Gorsefur if they can come and help. Gorsefur tells them he wants them to help guard camp. Petalkit and her sister, Nightkit, are excited at first, but Squirrelkit claims that Gorsefur was only trying to keep them busy, and their excitement quickly fades. The three kits decide to find the fox cubs' den by themselves to prove that they can be helpful. They sneak out through the dirtplace tunnel and head towards the lake. They are almost spotted by Streamtail and Eagleflight, but they hide in a bush, so that they can not be seen by the other cats. The kits reach the Sky Oak and find the fox den, and Nightkit decides that they should raid the den through the escape passage. The cubs turn out to be much bigger than expected, and almost kill the kits. They escape, but Squirrelkit accidentally falls into the hollow. Petalkit is relieved when she sees that Squirrelkit is okay. Whitefeather, the medicine cat, seems to encourage Petalkit to become a medicine cat after she shows worry for her kin as Whitefeather takes care of him.
- When Nightkit gets scratched by thorns, Petalkit leaves to the medicine den to get herbs for the cuts. Whitefeather is gone, but Squirrelkit shows her which herbs to use. Whitefeather comes in then, and Squirrelkit says that Petalkit remembered the smell from when she got treated. Whitefeather is impressed, and Petalkit soon decides to become a medicine cat, feeling that she owes her Clan for trying to raid the fox cubs' den earlier.
- Lakepaw and Goldenleaf visit the camp, and when they get ready to leave, Petalkit asks Lakepaw how to become a medicine cat apprentice. When Lakepaw leaves, Petalkit tells Whitefeather she wants to be her apprentice, and Whitefeather says she'll ask Flamestar. Nightkit and Squirrelkit don't understand why Petalkit would want to be a medicine cat when she could be a warrior, but Petalkit sticks with her decision.
- Petalkit takes on the name of Petalpaw after Whitefeather agrees to be her mentor. However, Petalpaw does not do well as a medicine cat apprentice. She is told to fetch certain herbs, but returns with the wrong ones. Treating injuries often makes her squeamish, and she begins to doubt her skills as a medicine cat apprentice.
- Soon, Whitefeather takes her to practice battle moves, which she excels at. She is dedicated to the warrior code, and tentatively believes that Flamestar should have kept Cinderwhisker as his deputy over Gorsefur.
- A battle erupts when Petalpaw is out collecting tansy. She is shown fighting Tangleclaw with Cinderwhisker, and in her excitement, Petalpaw forgets to check cats for injuries when it ends, though Mapleclaw notes that Petalpaw fought like a warrior.
- After the fight, Petalpaw decides to become a warrior apprentice instead, and Grayfoot becomes her new mentor. Nightpaw comments on the way her eyes shine when she goes into battle, though the courage seems to be lost when she treats her Clanmates, and says she should have been a warrior from the start. The Clan cats believe that the switch between Petalpaw and Squirrelpaw was set up. Later, she goes to the Gathering, and is excited by the thought of the Daylight Gathering as well.
- During the Daylight Gathering, which was suggested by Frostnose during the previous Gathering, she beats Ryepaw, a WindClan apprentice in a fighting competition, even though Ryepaw is a lot more experienced than she is. Ryepaw compliments her on her fighting skills. Flamestar rewards her by allowing her to have first prey from the fresh-kill pile for winning the fighting contest.
- She and Frostnose both congratulate Squirrelpaw when the Clan leaders announce that she saved Blackpaw and Nightpaw when an old badger set fell in, trapping the two apprentices.
Dark River Edit
- Petalpaw worries about her friend in RiverClan, Lakepaw, a medicine cat apprentice. She knows that RiverClan moved their camp to the island where the Gatherings were held, and also that RiverClan is having problems. She asks Squirrelpaw to ask Lakepaw about what is happening in RiverClan for her, because she isn't a medicine cat apprentice anymore, and won't see her at the half-moon medicine cat meeting.
- One night, she has a dream about Lakepaw. In the dream, it is raining. Lakepaw is running ahead of her, and Petalpaw cannot catch up. She tries to call to her, to ask her what is going on in RiverClan. But Lakepaw cannot hear her, and she wakes up, disturbed.
- She starts to notice that Nightpaw is very tired and grumpy during the day, and attempts to question her about it. However, she is touchy, and sharply tells her that nothing is wrong. She feels upset about this, remembering when she and her littermates shared everything with each other. She asks Squirrelpaw if she knows what's going on with Lionpaw, but Squirrelpaw tells her she doesn't. While on patrol with Grayfoot, Jayflight, and Mosspaw the next morning, they scent a fox in their territory. Mosspaw is first to announce it is female, but the scent is stale. Petalpaw is puzzled by this, knowing that Mosspaw had never come across a fox before.
- That night, she notices that once again, Nightpaw is missing from the den. Petalpaw starts to go and find her, and Mosspaw decides to come along. They go out into the forest, trying to pick up her scent trail. Her scent leads to the WindClan border, which worries Petalpaw. She and Mosspaw then see Nightpaw near the border, playing with the WindClan apprentice Ryepaw, whom Petalpaw fought at the Daylight Gathering. Petalpaw grows angry and interrupts them. Nightpaw becomes defiant and angry, and the two start to argue. She threatens to tell Gorsefur if Nightpaw continues to see Ryepaw, putting their bond at risk. She becomes furious, and storms off back to camp. Petalpaw is still worried, however, wondering if Nightpaw will ever forgive her.
- When Sunpelt receives her warrior name, Hollypaw grows uneasy. When Lilystream and Streamtail stick up for her, some of the Clan start to agree. Petalpaw is against this, arguing that they must live by the warrior code and that Sunpelt should have accepted a proper Clan training.
- She later has her assessment, along with Mosspaw and Pinepaw. Pinepaw becomes determined to catch a squirrel in the Sky Oak, so Petalpaw and Mosspaw watch anxiously as he climbs it. Their mentors, Grayfoot, Jayflight, and Thornheart, all come running, and watch Pinepaw climb the tree. When Pinepaw gets stuck, Mosspaw climbs up to get him, despite his father's protests. Petalpaw is horrified when Mosspaw slips and falls out of the tree. Thornheart orders her to go and fetch Whitefeather. Petalpaw bursts into camp and leads Whitefeather and Squirrelpaw to where Mosspaw is. When they realize that Mosspaw has broken a hind leg, Whitefeather becomes very upset, reminded of her old mentor, Mosstail, who got hit by a Twoleg monster and, as a result, had a crippled hing leg for the rest of his life. Petalpaw tells Squirrelpaw that she has never seen Whitefeather so upset before.
- During the next Gathering, she tries to talk to Lakepaw, but she tells her that she cannot talk, and leaves.
- After deciding to find RiverClan's problem on her own, Petalpaw travels to RiverClan's territory. However, she is caught and held captive in the RiverClan temporary camp. While there, Twoleg kits invade RiverClan's camp. The next day, Frostnose comes to fetch her.
- Nightpaw, Petalpaw, and Squirrelpaw search for the missing kits from WindClan. Before that, Petalpaw had accused Nightpaw of betraying his Clan, but she is stopped by Squirrelpaw, who calmly tells her that she was still being punished for helping Lakepaw. Ryepaw and Blackpaw search with them too, and they rescue the kits from drowning in the tunnels where Nightpaw and Ryepaw used to meet. Petalpaw then decides that she can no longer be friends with Lakepaw, as she is training to be a warrior now, not a medicine cat.
- After bringing prey to the queens, Petalpaw speaks to her mother, Frostnose, about being both a warrior and a mother. Frostnose tries to reassure her, but Petalpaw is frustrated still.
- Petalpaw is present at Wolfkit and Dapplekit's apprentice ceremony. Later, she goes on a patrol with Flamestar and Grayfoot to find Owlpaw and Mapleclaw trespassing and hunting on ShadowClan territory.
- She finds Squirrelpaw sheltering from the rain, but she admits that she is looking for another way into the tunnels after Petalpaw voices her suspicions. When Squirrelpaw tells her sister about the ancient cats, Petalpaw is fascinated, yet hesitant about keeping the stories a secret. In the end, she agrees.
- During a hunting patrol, Streamtail talks about the the Tribe and comments that Petalpaw is a good hunter because of her strong back legs. Like her siblings Squirrelpaw and Nightpaw, Petalpaw longs to go to the mountains. Later, Petalpaw tells Mosspaw that she would focus on becoming a better hunter before training to become a better fighter. Petalpaw watches an advanced training session for the new warriors Owlwhisker, Daisyfur, and Pinetail, and is disturbed when Hawkclaw and Nightpaw start to fight savagely. She participates in the training session, but is distracted with memories of the fight. Her father Gorsefur reassures her and tells her that she is his little thinker.
- After Petalpaw and her siblings are given permission to join Gorsefur and Frostnose on the journey to help the Tribe, she goes with Frostnose to WindClan to bring Nettletail and Blackpaw to ThunderClan. Petalpaw also feels a bit of sympathy for Blackpaw, but shakes it off because of him having led other apprentices to try to fight the dogs, and possibly get killed. She also thinks about how she can become the leader of ThunderClan throughout the book and is worried that she is acting ambitious but later convinced herself that she isn't.
- Petalpaw, along with Squirrelpaw, Nightpaw, Gorsefur, Nettletail, Blackpaw, Blossomcloud, Eagleflight, Streamtail, Bouldernose, and Talonfur journey to the Tribe of Rushing Water. Petalpaw and the other apprentices meet a loner named Husky and secretly agree with Blackpaw when he voices his annoyance that Husky is with them. She sees cows for the first time as well. While traveling there she, Nightpaw and Blackpaw enter a barn to catch some fresh-kill against orders. She does not think it a good idea, but decides to come because she wants to help them; although it turns out she is too edgy to hunt anything because of her fear of being caught and getting in trouble. After Blackpaw catches a mouse and Nightpaw and Petalpaw are about to share a mouse, they are attacked by dogs and are saved by Husky as he shows them a way out of the barn.
- Afterward, Petalpaw picks ticks off Husky to thank him for saving them. She finds out that Husky's owners had died and that he was living on his own. She commented on how his life was harder than the elders of a Clan. When the cats are close to the Tribe's home, Petalpaw yowls loudly about the view, warning the intruders and almost causing a fight. When the group of cats get to the Tribe of Rushing Water she teaches "to-bes" on fighting techniques with Nightpaw and Blackpaw. While she finds it difficult, she enjoys the experience of being a mentor. However, she and Nightpaw admit to each other that they don't think the Tribe can learn Clan ways. Petalpaw is part of the patrol that brings the message about the boundaries to the intruders, and is horrified when she realizes the intruders have no code of honor to follow. Petalpaw is pleased that the Tribe chose to fight the intruders rather than flee.
- Before the battle against the rogues begins, Petalpaw, Nightpaw, Blackpaw, and Pebblepaw enter through a hole in the ceiling to scare off the nursing she-cats. Petalpaw fights very hard in the battle. When it is over, she becomes horrified when she sees Nightpaw covered in blood; thinking it is her own. It is, however, the blood of the cats whom she had been fighting, and she helps her wash her pelt. Squirrelpaw gets them alone after this, and tells them both about the prophecy.
- Petalpaw stresses highly over the prophecy, and is exasperated when Nightpaw shows little concern. She wants to use her powers to preserve the warrior code. She and her sisters return to the Lake territory, along with Nettletail, Blossomcloud, Gorsefur, Frostnose, and Blackpaw. Eagleflight and Streamtail remain with the Tribe of Rushing Water.
- Petalpaw, Gorsefur, Icestorm, and Grayfoot go to find out why WindClan was stealing food from ThunderClan territory. They meet Bramblefur, Turtletooth, and Mintfoot, the WindClan deputy. Bramblefur attacks Gorsefur, but Gorsefur easily pins him down. Mintfoot then begs for him to let her Clanmate go and leave WindClan territory. Gorsefur does so reluctantly. When she tells Nightpaw, she carelessly rips moss which Petalpaw observes is too messy for kits.
- Petalpaw finds another tunnel that leads to WindClan, but she doesn't tell Nightpaw in fear of her using it to meet with Ryepaw. After Sleekkit, Hazelkit, and Oakkit are born, she congratulates Squirrelpaw for helping Whitefeather with the birthing.
- During the battle with WindClan and RiverClan, Petalpaw helps Pinetail into the battle after he pokes his eye with a thorn in the darkness. When she goes to get help from ShadowClan, Frogfur is guarding the camp and tries to stop her. However, Petalpaw successfully convinces Snowstar to help.
- Petalpaw is the first cat to see Comet on WindClan territory, and she thinks he is a lion. The others think she is just seeing things. She later helps her littermates find Comet, and is strangely mesmerized by his amber eyes. After the battle, Petalpaw is the one who discovers Frostnose wound, when Whitefeather tells everyone to leave her, she protests as Icestorm guides her away. She helps build a soft nest out of ferns for Frostnose.
- She and her sisters head out to find Comet, the cat who claimed to know the sun would disappear. During the travel, she pricks her nose on a thorn in the dark and is tired from the long travel so soon after the battle. When they find Comet, they offer to let him come to ThunderClan. When they start home, they are stopped by a ShadowClan patrol and taken to their camp even though they didn't cross the border. In the camp, Petalpaw sees Blossomcloud's three kits. Once they return, Petalpaw is promptly ordered to go hunting with Nightpaw, and their mentors.
- Squirrelpaw becomes annoyed with her because she murmurs "the Warrior Code" repeatedly under her breath. At the very end of the book, she, Nightpaw, and Mosspaw get their warrior names: Petalshine, Nightbreeze, and Mosscloud.
Long Shadows Edit
- Comet has stopped ShadowClan in believing in the Warrior Code. Due to this cause, Petalshine goes with her sisters to spy on ShadowClan. Later in the book, Blossomcloud brings her kits, Redpaw, Adderpaw, and Sagepaw, to ThunderClan as to teach them about StarClan. Petalshine is on the patrol that finds them by the border.
- Petalshine, Squirrelpaw, Nightbreeze, Redpaw, Adderpaw, and Sagepaw create a fake sign from StarClan, which turns into a real sign when Blizzardstar and Beeclaw appear, to bring ShadowClan back to the warrior code. While Hawkclaw almost pushes the three cats off into a blazing fire, it is revealed that Frostnose is not any of the three's mother and Gorsefur is not their father even though he thinks he is. Hawkclaw tells them that he is not going to keep their secret, and leaves, sparing Petalshine, Nightbreeze, and Squirrelfern's lives.
- When he leaves, Petalshine immediately demands of Frostsnoe if she had told the truth—and Frostnose apologizes, admitting she had told the truth, and that she truly wasn't their mother. Petalshine quickly comes to resent Frostnose for lying about them being her kits.
- She is horrified when she learns of Hawkclaw's intention to announce her heritage at the Gathering, because she believes it will make the other Clans hate ThunderClan for their diluted blood even more. However, unlike her siblings, she sees the futility in trying to dissuade Hawkclaw, telling him to his face that if he wants to destroy his own Clan that it's his business.
- Hawkclaw and Frostnose are missing when the Clan gets together to attend the Gathering. Hollyleaf thinks to herself that she wouldn't care if Frostnose never returned to camp. She shies away from thinking about Hawkclaw at all. Frostnose finally arrives, covered in mud from an apparent fall into a stream. Flamestar gets tired of waiting for Hawkclaw and the patrol leaves without him, only to find his lifeless body in the stream at the WindClan border. At first it is assumed that he has drowned, but Whitefeather discovers a laceration on his neck that confirms that he was murdered.
- Whitefeather is chosen to go on the Comet patrol, on which they go to the sun-drown place to find Comet, as Flamestar believes him responsible for Comet's death. She is charmed by Comet for a while, but then loses interest. Her tongue gets stuck on the ice, and Grayfoot has to help her get unstuck. She helps to try and get Gorsefur and Mapleclaw out of the water by holding the stick when they fall in the sun-drown-place's depths.
- After Darkcloud's death, who died saving Hazelkit from a snake, she goes into Whitefeather den to demand information about her parentage from the medicine cat. Whitefeather misinterprets Petalshine's question, which was asking her to tell her everything she knew, instead, believing that Petalshine knows that Whitefeather knows that she killed Hawkclaw. Petalshine tries to deny, but is overcome by guilt and self-disgust and confesses. When she explains why she did it, Whitefeather reveals that she is Petalshine, Squirrelfern, and Nightbreeze's true mother. Petalshine is overcome with hate for the cat who broke the warrior code to give birth to her, and becomes obsessed with learning the identity of her father.
- She discovers that her father is Nettletail, a WindClan warrior. Obsessed as she is with the warrior code, she cannot stand being both a medicine cat's kit and half-Clan. At the Gathering she reveals the truth about her heritage, screeching her hate for Whitefeather, the cat who gave birth to her, and Frostnose, who lied to her and her littermates. She is shocked by the blatant disapproval the other cats show for her revelation, believing that she had done the right thing. Whitefeather, ashamed of what she had done, steps down as the ThunderClan medicine cat. Petalshine leaves the Gathering and returns to ThunderClan. Petalshine then finds Whitefeather's deathberries and prepares to force the medicine cat to eat them when Whitefeather says she has already lost everything, and that it would be worse for her if she stayed alive. Petalshine hesitates, then lets Whitefeather go.
- Petalshine decides to leave the Clans, because she couldn't stand being a half-Clan cat and a medicine cat's kit, and she is spotted running for the tunnels by Squirrelfern. She and Nightbreeze follow her to try and stop her, but Petalshine does not listen. She then admits that she was the one who killed Hawkclaw. Squirrelfern reaches into her memories unwillingly, and she realizes exactly how she killed Hawkclaw. Just as she enters the tunnels to leave the Clans, the tunnel entrance collapses. It is unknown to Nightbreeze and Squirrelfern if she was truly killed in the collapse.
- Squirrelfern and Nightbreeze return back to the ThunderClan camp. To let Petalshine be remembered like the other past warriors and to hide the fact that she had gone into the tunnels to get away from her Clanmates, Squirrelfern and Nightbreeze tell the Clan that Petalshine had accidentally ran into the tunnels while chasing a squirrel. They decide not tell the Clan that she killed Hawkclaw, so she could be remembered as a brave and noble warrior, not a terrible murderer.
In the Omen of the Stars Arc Edit
The Fourth Apprentice Edit
- In the prologue, Falconstar, Rosecloud, Mudpelt, Acornheart, and Shimmerfur discuss who the third cat of the prophecy is. Petalshine is mentioned in this discussion with the five cats. At one point, Acornheart claims that if they had meddled with the prophecy even more, then Petalshine would not have wandered into the tunnels, and would not now be lost. If Petalshine is alive, she is out of StarClan's reach.
- When Squirrelfern, Nightbreeze, and Smokepaw are in the abandoned Twoleg nest garden, discussing the prophecy, Squirrelfern and Nightbreeze state to Smokepaw that Petalshine was not one of the Three, and that she was.
- After Squirrelfern battles with Blackfur and Shatteredstar alongside Darkcloud, he sees the StarClan cats lined up together before him. However, he cannot see Petalshine in the row of StarClan cats. Squirrelfern thinks that she may still be alive, or that she has gone to the Dark Forest.
- When Mosscloud goes to the medicine den looking for herbs to make Thrushwing happier, he bursts out about how much he misses Petalshine.
Fading Echoes Edit
- She is only briefly mentioned by Nightbreeze, Squirrelfern, and Mosscloud. She is also mentioned by Frostnose as she and Squirrelfern travel to the ShadowClan camp. Frostnose tells Squirrelfern that, as a kit, a leaf fell on Petalshine's head, and she wouldn't leave the nursery for three days, because she feared that the forest was falling. Also, Squirrelfern tells Smokepaw about why Petalshine had left the Clan. Squirrelfern says that not being one of the Three was the hardest thing to comprehend for her, in addition to finding out who her real parents were. She does not mention the part about Whitefeather and Nettletail to Smokepaw, instead saying it was not important right now.
- After Squirrelfern finds Redwhisker, and right after Redwhisker leaves, Squirrelfern senses herself being watched, and sniffs the air. Squirrelfern notes that the scent is very familiar, and it is possible that the scent was Petalshine's spirit watching over her.
Night Whispers Edit
- Nightbreeze, on a patrol with Mosscloud, sees the collapsed tunnel where Petalshine supposedly died, and is frightened at the sight of it. However, she continues to hide the incident from him and the rest of the Clan.
- Later, when Squirrelfern is sorting through her herb storage, she finds a tuft of Petalshine's fur. This reminds her of when Petalshine was training as a medicine cat, and he stores it back in. It is suspected that it might be the fur Whitefeather hid when she figured out Petalshine killed Hawkclaw.
Sign of the Moon Edit
- When Dappleheart falls into one of the tunnels, it is noted by her sisters that this is the same tunnel that she ran into when it collapsed. Nightbreeze wants to go down to see for herself if Petalshine's body is there or not. She also wants to protect her secret of killing Hawkclaw. Squirrelfern later asks Nightbreeze if she can show her the tunnel, as she wants to investigate for herself. Unable to find her body, they find a tuft of her fur. Her sisters assume she is alive, but consider other possibilities that could have led to an alternative death. She is supposedly found helping Sleekshine and Palecloud.
The Forgotten Warrior Edit
- This book confirms that Petalshine, indeed, is alive and well. She had been living life after her escape from ThunderClan and the collapsing roof of the tunnel as a loner. She is first spotted in the book helping Palecloud and Smokeflower get out of the tunnels. At first they don't trust her, and in the dark they cannot see who she is and what she looks like. But Petalshine tells them who she is, much to their surprise, and goes on to explain that she is the cat that helped Palecloud and Sleekshine out of the tunnels previously. When they come out of the tunnels, Petalshine is going to go back in, but Nightbreeze appears and escorts her back to the ThunderClan camp.
- Back in camp, her Clanmates are surprised and happy to see her alive, and bombard her with questions. Whitefeather is overjoyed to see her daughter alive, although Petalshine flinches away from her when she bounds over. When Frostnose expresses her joy to see Petalshine alive, the silver she-cat stammers awkwardly.
- The next morning, Petalshine goes into the forest with her sisters to talk. She thanks them for not revealing the truth about Hawkclaw's death. Squirrelfern challenges her, angry that she allowed them to believe she was dead, and Petalshine explains that she thought that they and the Clan were better off without her.
- At this point she finds out that Smokeflower is the third cat in the prophecy and seems impressed with the young cat's powers, while Squirrelfern senses grief and envy from her sister, but not bitter jealousy that would indicate that Petalshine would be a threat to Smokeflower. Squirrelfern inwardly mourns the fact that Petalshine has no powers, knowing that she would have taken her place in the prophecy very seriously and may have made different choices in the past. She also wonders if Petalshine is the fourth cat in the prophecy.
- One day later, while Gorsefur is assigning patrols, he puts Petalshine on a hunting patrol, which causes unrest in the Clan. Cats demand to know where Petalshine has been and what she has been doing. Some cats wonder if she has been conspiring with Comet, and Mousetail makes the connection with the timing of Petalshine's disappearance and Hawkclaw's death. Petalshine reveals that she was present for and caused Hawkclaw's death, but as she prepares to admit that she killed Hawkclaw, Gorsefur interrupts and says that he was there at the event, although Petalshine could not see him. Gorsefur continues to explain that Hawkclaw had leaped at Petalshine, but he slipped and fell into the stream, and Petalshine was only defending herself. Petalshine also reveals that she was the one that saved Stonepaw and Spiderpaw from the foxes.
- After hearing her reasoning, the Clan accepts her back, shocked that Hawkclaw would try to kill four cats and assuring Petalshine that she did the right thing. Flamestar explains to Petalshine that she should have trusted her Clanmates to treat her fairly, and excuses her from patrols for the day
- Petalshine teaches cats underground fighting, so they would be prepared for WindClan's attack.
- Petalshine is noted by Palecloud to have eyes like a hawk, because when ThunderClan gets in a border skirmish with ShadowClan, Sparrowclaw convinces Sageleap to leave them alone since Palecloud is on the patrol. Petalshine inquires about their relationship and she wonders how the silver she-cat could possibly know about the Dark Forest, but in all actuality, Petalshine thinks the two cats are involved in a romantic relationship and she feels bitter towards it, not only because of the Warrior Code, but also because she is Half-Clan and if she were to ever have kits, she wouldn't want them to share that pain and torture.
- WindClan attacks, and as they walked through the tunnels, ThunderClan was prepared and defeated WindClan. Petalshine nearly kills Comet, and Comet said that many seasons ago, he met another Clan in the gorge far away (SkyClan) and they haven't accepted him to be one of their warriors. Petalshine lets him go, saying they have to let the warrior code rule their hearts, and there would be no honor in killing him, though she does warn him that if he ever does threaten the Clans again, she will kill him. The book ends as Petalshine and Smokeflower are leaving the tunnels.
The Last Hope Edit
- Nightbreeze believes she is the fourth cat in the the prophecy, yet she denies, saying there is nothing special about her. She tries to prove she is the fourth cat by testing her, for instance, how well she can climb and run. However, she still says that she isn't destined to be the fourth. She believes that her strong loyalty to the Warrior Code and her good hunting and fighting skills show she is the fourth, but she says any well trained warrior would be able to do those things as well.
- During the Dark Forest battle, Petalshine is seen fighting side by side with Icestorm, defeating and driving off Dark Forest Warriors.
- After the battle is over, Gorsefur is appointed as leader, following Flamestar's death. Gorsestar appoints Petalshine as his deputy, telling her that everything she did was for the best of reasons, and he understands now. Petalshine accepts her place as deputy, and Whitefeather mentions that she is proud of her daughter and that Petalshine deserves this.
In the A Vision of Shadows Arc Edit
The Apprentice's Quest Edit
- When Willowkit tells Lionkit that she wouldn’t want Rainwing or Owlwhisker as mentors, Petalshine emerges from the nursery in time to hear her daughter’s last words, and she says that that is enough, as they aren’t supposed to have fun with their mentors, but learn from them. She licks her paw and smoothes it over Willowkit's pelt, adding that Owlwhisker and Rainwing are both fine warriors, and that she would be very lucky to have either of them as her mentor. However, despite her sharp voice, Petalshine's gaze shines with love for her kits, and Lionkit knows how much his mother adores him and his sister. Although he is only a kit, he knows that Petalshine is young to have her first litter, and he remembers her lost kits, Sootkit and Echokit. Lionkit thinks that he and Willowkit must be the best cats they can be for Petalshine and Pinetail. However, Willowkit isn’t at all cowed by her mother’s scolding, and she shakes her pelt until her fur fluffs up again. Gorsestar starts the ceremony and Petalshine gently nudges her kits forward until they also stand in the circle. Gorsefur makes Spidereye Willowpaw's mentor, and gives Lionpaw to Stonepelt, and as the chanting dies away and the crowd disperses, Petalshine and Pinetail pad over to join their kits. Petalshine purrs that they are so proud of both of them, and gives Willowpaw and Lionpaw a lick around the ears, saying that she is sure they will be wonderful warriors one day. Pinetail agrees then heads toward his den, and Petalshine nuzzles her kits before following him.
- When Lionpaw and Willowpaw clean the elder’s fur for ticks, Icestorm tells them of how when Petalshine was an apprentice, Grayfoot was her mentor, and didn’t put up with any nonsense. She adds that Petalshine was still a match for him, and Lionpaw asks what she did, intrigued to think of his serious, businesslike mother as a difficult apprentice, and he insists that the elder tells them. Icestorm sighs, asking what she didn’t do, and lists that she would slip out of camp to hunt on her own, get stuck in bushes, and fall into streams. The elderly she-cat recalls how Grayfoot had once told Frostnose that if her kit didn’t shape up, he would claw her pelt off and hang it on a bush to frighten the foxes. Willowpaw exclaims that he wouldn’t have and Icestorm agrees, but she notes that Grayfoot had to be tough with her, as he saw her potential for her Clan, but knew that she wouldn’t live up to it unless she learned discipline. Lionpaw meows that she sure did that.
- Later, when the apprentices get a tour of the territory and come to the Greenleaf Twolegplace, Lionpaw guesses that it is some sort of Twoleg stuff, since Petalshine had said that Twolegs came into the forest sometimes.
- On his way to his first Gathering, Lionpaw sees an owl and turns to Petalshine who pads alongside him. He begins that he heard stories about huge owls that can snatch up a cat and asks if it is true, and Petalshine's blue eyes glint in the dusk with a mixture of kindness and amusement. She tells him that the owls in the woods aren’t big enough to attack a cat, and Lionpaw mulls over her answer, wondering if his mother meant that there are owls big enough to eat cats someplace else. Willowpaw and Lionpaw then see fireflies and begin to chase after them, but Petalshine sternly calls out to her children, ordering them to come back immediately. When they rejoin her, she asks what they think they are doing, as they are representing ThunderClan on their way to a Gathering, and when they meet the other Clans, they should behave perfectly. Lionpaw promises that they will and both kits say that they are sorry, and Petalshine exclaims that she should think so, before she stalks off ahead. The apprentices follow, but as soon as their mother is out of earshot, Willowpaw says that that was amazing.
- When they reach the horseplace, Willowpaw mews that she spots no horses and begins making predictions on why, but she breaks off as Petalshine gives her a prod. The deputy tells her to keep going, and says that they are almost there. After the ThunderClan cats cross the tree-bridge and enter the clearing, Lionpaw is astonished at the many cats who are yowling and tussling, and he remembers how Petalshine had told him that they were supposed to behave perfectly at Gatherings.
- Stonepelt and Spidereye begin pointing out important cats from the Clans to Lionpaw and Willowpaw, and when they show them the deputies sitting on the roots, Petalshine meows that she had better go there too, and she pads past. The silver she-cat briefly pauses, and adds to the apprentices that this is their chance to get to know cats in the Clans. She tells them to go and introduce themselves, then joins the other deputies.
- Later, when Lionpaw learns that he must become a medicine cat, he resolves that he will try very hard and make Pinetail and Petalshine proud. The next morning, though most of the ThunderClan cats are still asleep, Petalshine stands outside the warriors’ den and organizes the dawn patrol with Grayfoot, Owlwhisker, and Hollypool. She remarks to Lionpaw that he is up early as he pads past, and the tabby apprentice replies that Squirrelfern wants him in the medicine cats’ den. His mother mews that he had better not be late and she gives him a swift lick around the ears. She adds that he should first get some fresh-kill, as he can’t eat on an empty belly, and Lionpaw thanks her.
- A few sunrises later, while Lionpaw works in the medicine cat den, Petalshine pushes past the bramble screen and enters the den, asking Squirrelfern if Whitefeather is back yet. The brown tabby grumbles that she isn't, and adds that she doesn’t understand why she had to trek across to ShadowClan because Nutwhisker isn’t feeling well. Petalshine meows that she only wants to help her, but Squirrelfern snorts that she really needs an apprentice, since despite ShadowClan's excess amount of apprentices, they can’t find one for the elderly medicine cat. Petalshine mildly responds to her that she knows just as well as she does that a medicine cat apprentice needs to be just the right cat. The deputy shoots an affectionate glance at Lionpaw, who warms at her words, and Petalshine informs Squirrelfern that Gorsefur and her wanted to talk to her in his den. She asks her if it is busy now, and Squirrelfern agrees to come.
- The next morning, Lionpaw enters the medicine cats' den and sees Whitefeather tells Spidereye that her wound looks fine, but that she can tell Petalshine that she is off warrior duties for the day. That night at the Moonpool, a ginger tom enters Lionpaw's dream, and says that he is so happy to finally meet on of Petalshine's kits. Lionpaw realizes that he must be Flamestar, his mother's famous grandfather.
- Later, when Icestorm and Gorsestar argue on if she can go on Lionpaw's quest, they are interrupted when a patter of paw steps approaches up the tumbled rocks, and Petalshine appears at the den entrance. Gorsestar and Icestorm exchange a glance, and Lionpaw realizes that Petalshine doesn’t know about SkyClan either. The silver tabby she-cat reports that all the hunting patrols have gone out, and she wanted to ask which warriors have been chosen to go with Lionpaw. She says that he will need a strong group of cats, because although she doesn’t know where he will go, she knows there will be danger. Icestorm announces that she will go with him, but Petalshine's expression is horrified, and she exclaims to her grandmother that she can’t. She explains that it is bad enough with Lionpaw going, and that she couldn’t bear if both her kit and her grandmother went off on a dangerous quest together. Icestorm meows to her granddaughter that it will be fine, because she is old but strong, and Lionpaw will be in much less danger if she goes with him. Gorsestar agrees with the elder, and Petalshine glances sharply from Icestorm to Gorsestar and back again, blue eyes glittering. She demands if they aren’t telling her something, but Gorsestar responds that she has to trust him. After a few tense heartbeats when Petalshine holds Gorsestar's green gaze, she sighs, tail dropping, and supposes that she does.
- Gorsestar leads the way out of the den and onto the Highledge, and Petalshine stays by his side while Icestorm and Lionpaw make their way down to the floor of the camp. Gorsestar announces that Lionpaw and Icestorm will go on the quest, and Willowpaw offers to come too, but Pinetail and Petalshine, who is up on the Highledge, exchange dubious glances. Spidereye tells Willowpaw that Gorsestar decides who will go, but Lionpaw begs Gorsestar to have his sister come, and Gorsestar pauses, clearly torn, while Petalshine leans closer to him and murmurs something in his ear. She looks horrified at the thought of both of her kits risking themselves on the quest, and she and the Clan leader speak together for a few heartbeats before Gorsestar tells his son that Willowpaw may go with him, as well as Spidereye and Stonepelt.
- Just before Lionpaw and the other cats step into the tunnel as they set out on their quest, Petalshine bounds up to her kits. Lionpaw sees fear in her eyes, but the deputy's voice is brisk as she tells them to not get killed. She meows that she wants to hear all about it when they get back, and Lionpaw promises to be careful. Willowpaw adds that she will look after him, and Petalshine touches noses with both of the apprentices, then takes a step back. Lionpaw is aware of her gazing at him until he heads into the tunnel.
- After the questing cats come back with Shimmerkit and Tulipkit, Lionpaw is asked to talk with Gorsestar, and he and Squirrelfern go up to the leader's den, where Petalshine and Whitefeather are already waiting with him. Lionpaw explains to his Clanmates how he and Sandpaw had found the kits and Petalshine sounds surprised as she asks if the ShadowClan apprentice really helped. Lionpaw answers that it was her idea to go through the tunnel, and that she helped him bring the kits back and cared for them. When Gorsestar asks Whitefeather and Squirrelfern if they think it the kits are what lay in the shadows for the prophecy, Petalshine asks Lionpaw what he thinks, and the apprentice replies that they could be.
- In the bonus scene, she is sleeping when suddenly she remembers that she's the deputy, and she should have been awake to organize the patrols. She feels as if everywhere on her is hurting, and she feels that she could sleep forever, if only she wasn't so hungry.
- More Coming Soon
Thunder and Shadow Edit
- She returns from her quest for SkyClan. Petalshine tells Lionpaw there's no point in going back when he suggests it. She tells Lionpaw to keep his voice down and looks at the cats below her. She offers to go help WindClan when they are being attacked by rogues.
- She touches noses with her daughter when Willowfall receives her warrior name.
- At a Gathering, she is seen talking with Brindlestar. She is furious when Blossomstar reports that Tulipkit is with the rogues and says they must get her back.
- Palecloud mentions it was a shame her patrol never found Shimmerpaw's mother. Later, Lionpaw states that Petalshine's patrol had never been trying to find Shimmerpaw's mother.
- Gorsestar and Petalshine lead the way at the next Gathering.
- Petalshine is sorting out patrols. Shimmerpaw tells her she wants to search for her mother. She asks Waspclaw to go with them Petalshine then warns Shimmerpaw it will be a long journey. Thrushwing is doubtful, saying Petalshine's patrol didn't find her. Palecloud says that maybe they will spot something Petalshine's patrol didn't.
- Lionpaw tells her that Shimmerpaw is missing. She asks if they've checked all the dens and asks if they picked up any scents. Gorsestar asks what's going on and Petalshine tells him. She irritably says that she's probably wandering around the woods and feeling sorry for herself. When Shimmerpaw bristles and asks if she never did that when she was young, Petalshine apologizes. She sends out search parties. Later, she defends ShadowClan when they come into the camp. She says they must try to get the herb from Larkstar. Petalshine is angry when Gorsestar says that ShadowClan is not their problem and says it's every Clan's problem. Petalshine and Gorsestar come up with a plan to get the herb.
- Shimmerpaw hears Petalshine coming to get her back. Shimmerpaw runs outside and nestles beside her.
- Petalshine is organizing patrols. She is angry when Blackfoot asks Blossomstar's permission to hunt and snaps that she organizes the hunting parties. She is still in a bad mood, so when Owlwhisker and Sleekshine join her, she glowers and growls if they need to ask Blossomstar's permission, too.
Shattered Sky Edit
- Coming Soon
In the Field Guide Arc Edit
Cats of the Clans Edit
- The narrator of this guide, Rock, says that Flamestar has waited a long time for the birth of Petalpaw and her sisters.
- Rock says that Petalpaw is a thinker, politician, sensitive, cunning, and aware of all the consequences that might come from a single action. He says for her, the warrior code is the root and reward of every choice a Clan cat has to make, and she would tread on the hardest paths to defend it.
- "Three young cats, with starlight in their eyes and the whisper of an ancient wind in their fur. Just remember this: power is neither good nor bad, but its user makes it so."
Battles of the Clans Edit
- Petalshine is mentioned by Ryeheart to be one of three cats in the Clans who know about the underground tunnels besides WindClan; the other two being Nightbreeze and Squirrelfern.
The Ultimate Guide Edit
- It is mentioned on Icestorm's page that when the truth came out about Nightbreeze, Petalshine and Squirrelfern, Icestorm stood by her kits. It is mentioned on Whitefeather's page that Whitefeather fell in love with Nettletail and bore his kits. Since she was a medicine cat and cannot have kits, she gave up her kits to Frostnose, who convinced even her mate that they are hers. When her secret was discovered by Petalshine who blurted it out at a Gathering, Whitefeather was forced to give up her role as a medicine cat and to add to her agony, her kits hated her for lying. Whitefeather never judged and was always proud.
- She is mentioned twice on Frostnose's page. Frostnose was incapable of doing anything but what she believed was right, even taking Whitefeather's kits and making her clanmates believe they were her own. Frostnose watched Gorsefur raise the kits and when the truth came out of their real mother, Gorsefur couldn’t forgive Frostnose for lying to him. She appears on Gorsefur's page. Gorsefur's greatest challenge was becoming father to Petalshine and her siblings. He relished the challenge as he watched the kits grow into strong, loyal ThunderClan cats. His heart broke when he learned he was not the real father.
- It is mentioned on Hawkclaw's page that Hawkclaw's bitterness to Frostnose led to Hawkclaw threatening to kill Frostnose's kits, which made her reveal who their true mother is. Hawkclaw now had a powerful weapon to use against Frostnose, to reveal she lied about Squirrelfern, Petalshine and Nightbreeze. It was a too great risk for Petalshine, who tracked down Hawkclaw and fatally wounded him.
- Petalshine has her own page.
- Sensitive and cunning, Petalshine was the thinker out of she and her sisters, Nightbreeze and Squirrelfern. She often thought ahead, weighing the options that come with a choice, both good and bad. The warrior code meant everything to Petalshine, and for her, it lay at the core of each and every decision, and she would choose to go the hardest paths if it meant she could uphold the warrior code and protect her Clan. Even before hearing of the prophecy, Petalshine was determined to serve her Clan the best that she could, and this was made evidence when she chose to train under Whitefeather, ThunderClan's sole medicine cat. Although she trained well, Whitefeather could soon tell that her apprentice's heart lay elsewhere, and she allowed Petalshine to begin training as a warrior apprentice, and she trained harder than any other apprentice, including her sister.
- Upon hearing of the prophecy, and how she and her sisters could be even more powerful than StarClan, Petalshine tread down a path that would help her find out what her destiny was. She recalled the skills of her sisters, Squirrelfern with her sight in dreams and the ability to walk the grounds of StarClan whenever she please, and the fighting abilities of Nightbreeze, never having been beaten. Soon, Petalshine found her strength in her loyalty and faith in the warrior code, and she would defend it until her last breath.
- When Frostnose confessed to Hawkclaw that Petalshine, Nightbreeze, and Squirrelfern were not her kits, Petalshine was devastated. She had no idea what would happen next, and she was terrified that Hawkclaw would reveal their secret to her Clanmates, and that she would be driven from her Clan, to live her life alone. Petalshine knew that she had to make sure that Hawkclaw kept the secret, and although she didn't mean to kill him, that's what ultimately happened. When she struck him, he accidentally slipped and fell into the stream- this is when Petalshine knew that he was beyond trying to save. Already being punished by her conscious, Petalshine saw no need to tell Flamestar about the confrontation. The warrior code states that no cat can kill another, and Petalshine knew her fear would eventually unveil the truth.
- When she and her siblings found out about Whitefeather and Nettletail being their parents, the truth became too much for Petalshine to handle, and she snapped- revealing the truth of her parentage at a Gathering, shaming her mother forever. Driven by the events of the Gathering, Petalshine fled. She made her way into the tunnels, a place where she would come to call home for many moons. While there, she came to the love the mysterious cat, Sootclaw. Her unending concern for her Clanmates, however, soon sent her back to ThunderClan, where she spent her days searching for forgiveness, which she didn't know had already been given, and she fought to near death to save her Clanmates from the Dark Forest.
- It is mentioned on Squirrelfern's page that Squirrelfern shared her littermates’ courage and curiosity. It is also mentioned on Smokeflower's page that Smokeflower was the third cat of the prophecy in place of Petalshine. Also during Gorsestar's nine lives ceremony, Gorsefur notes that he would still give his life in a moment to protect Petalshine and her siblings. It is also mentioned on Snowstar's page that Nightbreeze, Petalshine and Squirrelpaw schemed with Redpaw, Adderpaw and Sagepaw to create a false message from StarClan.
- It is mentioned on Addertail's page that he and his siblings were intrigued to see Petalshine and her siblings. She is mentioned twice on Nettletail's page. Nettletail was horrified to learn that Petalshine and her siblings are his kits, and refused to acknowledge them as his own. Later, alone with Whitefeather, Nettletail admitted he regretted nothing, the closest he will ever go to accepting his ThunderClan kits as his own.
- She is mentioned on Jaycloud and Blackfur's page. When Blackfur learned that Squirrelfern, Nightbreeze and Petalshine were Nettletail's kits, his horror was not hard to imagine. It is mentioned on Ryeheart's page that when three WindClan kits went missing, Ryepaw and Nightpaw guessed they went into the tunnels and went to search with Squirrelpaw and Petalpaw. Torrential rain flooded underground, washing the cats out into the lake and narrowly escaping with their lives.
- It is mentioned on Comet's page that in the middle of the battle between ThunderClan and WindClan stirred up by Comet, Petalshine took on Comet and defeated him, threatening to kill him if he dared to show his face to the Clans again. It is mentioned on Rock’s page that Squirrelpaw and Petalpaw joined the others to search for WindClan’s three missing kits.
- She lastly appears on Sootclaw’s page. Petalshine escaped into the tunnels where Sootclaw is after revealing the truth about her parents. She fled into the darkness and wandered, lost and hungry until Sootclaw found her and brought her food and water. He treated her injured leg and showed her how to survive underground. For several joyous moons, Sootclaw was happy but Petalshine grew restless, and Sootclaw knew her heart lay with her Clanmates. He encouraged her to be true to herself, and his heart broke when she left. When the Dark Forest cats came, Sootclaw fought alongside Petalshine and was there when she became ThunderClan's deputy. He realized that they would both walk different paths from each other forever now, but always have a place in each other's hearts.
In the Short Stories and Plays Edit
After Sunset: The Right Choice? Edit
- Whitefeather briefly worries about what will happen once Petalshine and her siblings are born, but she pushes the thought away.
Beyond the Code: Brightspirit's Mercy Edit
- Petalshine appears alongside her siblings when Squirrelfern is asked by Brightspirit, Shiningheart and Braveheart to give their prey to the other Clans. At first, she is reluctant to help the rival Clans, but she becomes convinced by the StarClan cats and Squirrelpaw, because giving the others prey could stop a battle, and they would be in debt to ThunderClan. Nightbreeze still scoffs at the idea, but eventually helps them catch prey because she wants to stick together with her littermates.
In the Novellas Edit
Whitefeather's Wish Edit
- Whitefeather, once she discovers she is expecting kits, becomes very worried about their fate. However, she is still determined to remain a medicine cat, even though she is breaking the code of the medicine cats by having Nettletail's kits. She travels away from the Clan with Frostnose to deliver the kits in secret.
- When she gives birth, Petalshine is born first, and wails as she takes her first breath. Soon after, her brothers are born. A few days later, Whitefeather and Frostnose decide to name the kits. When Frostnose suggests the name Petalkit for her, since her fur is as soft as petals, Whitefeather hesitates, but then agrees to it.
- After five days, Petalkit and her sister Nightkit have opened their eyes; Petalkit's are blue and Nightkit's are green. Leafpool feels a rush of affection for her kits, and thinks of Petalkit as gentle and thoughtful. When Squirrelkit falls in a hole by accident, Petalkit calls him a mouse-brain.
- Soon, they head back to ThunderClan. Whitefeather tells Frostnose that she must act as the kits' mother now. Frostnose agrees, and lets Whitefeather rub some of her milk scent on her. Petalkit noses Frostnose's belly and wonders why there is milk scent on her but no milk. Frostnose tells her that her milk has dried up, but that Lilystream will have milk for them once they return to the Clan. Petalkit pouts, saying that she wants her mother's milk.
Petalshine's Story Edit
- In the first chapter, she has a flashback; she is crouching during a fire caused by lightning in a storm, beside her littermates, Nightbreeze and Squirrelfern, in shock and terror. Her foster mother, Frostnose, is defending her and her littermates from Hawkclaw, who is threatening the three littermates, as he holds a grudge against Frostnose for taking Gorsefur as a mate instead of himself. He wants to take away something that means a lot to her in revenge, and decides to take it out on her kits so that she will feel the same pain he did. In order to protect them, Frostnose reveals a secret that shocks Petalshine and the rest of her littermates that they are not her kits. However, she doesn't reveal who the real mother and father are.
- Petalshine then runs into the tunnels, and when she enters them, they collapse on top of her. Although she doesn't die, she winds up injured and scared. She cries for help, but nobody hears her. She then thinks about how her littermates and Whitefeather know that she killed Hawkclaw, and that they probably think that she was killed in the rock-fall. She contemplates that it is probably the best for all of them. Petalshine attempts to escape from the tunnels, but can't figure out which way to go, and realizes that she's lost. She then passes out due to exhaustion and pain from her leg injuries.
- Petalshine wakes up to find that someone is tending to her wounds, although she doesn't know who it is. She tries standing up, but collapses from the pain in her leg. Petalshine's rescuer reveals himself to be Sootclaw.
- Eventually, Petalshine's leg does get better, and she's able to walk on all four legs again. Sootclaw takes this as a sign that Petalshine is going to leave him and the tunnels, and asks if he is to show her the way out. Much to his delight, Petalshine says she wants to explore his home, not leave. The two cats explore the cave, although when he catches prey for Petalshine, Sootclaw never takes any for himself. She wonders to herself why, but doesn't ask.
- The next morning, Sootclaw and Petalshine check around the tunnels. While Petalshine is on her own, she runs into a fox cub being chased by a dog and its Twoleg owner. The cub stays in the tunnels overnight, unsettling Hollyleaf. As a result, she decides to go looking for it. When she finds it, she realizes that it's frightened and startled. She wraps her tail around the cub as it sleeps, and once it wakes up in the morning, she leads it outside, and watches it leave with its mother.
- As the days pass, Petalshine looks around for the fox cub, and Sootclaw teases her, asking if she really wants it to come back. Petalshine says no, and that it belongs with its family, to which Sootclaw asks if that's what Petalshine wants. The two get into an argument. Sootclaw tells Petalshine she doesn't have to stay with him, and she storms off. As she leaves the tunnels, she runs into the fox she helped, although it didn't recognize her, and it starts attacking her. To get away she ran up a tree. Petalshine goes back to Sootclaw, although once she gets back, she sleeps for two whole days, once again being taken care of by Sootclaw.
- Once she wakes up, the two start talking, and Petalshine asks Sootclaw to tell her more about his own family. He tells Hollyleaf about his mother, Doveflight, and how she was protective of him. Sootclaw doesn't speak much more about his family and never tells her that he's dead and that his family is too, and instead tries to get Petalshine to speak about hers. She does, and Sootclaw suggests that she go and see ThunderClan, to check up on them. Although reluctant, she does, and finds out that things have changed. Sootclaw thinks that she's still important to her Clan, though Petalshine disagrees, thinking they are better off without her. Petalshine visits once more, although not for a while. When she does, she overhears that Squirrelfern is low on yarrow to help Spiderkit, who is sick. Petalshine fetches some yarrow, and leaves it outside of the camp. Sootclaw gets worried that she'll leave to go back to her Clan because she keeps on visiting them.
- Later on, she comes to find out from Sootclaw that two ThunderClan cats, Palecloud and Sleekshine, have found their way into the tunnels. She takes Sootclaw's suggestion, and leads them out, although the cats she helped have no idea who she really is. Later on, she does the same thing again, this time saving Spiderpaw and Stonepaw, Thrushwing's two kits. Despite the fact she knew she was risking getting discovered, she knew it was right. She had saved two apprentices from a fox. When she decides she has to go back, Sootclaw supports her choice, but is very upset about it and doesn't want her to leave. It is obvious the two love each other.
- About a moon later, Comet and a group of WindClan cats are found in the tunnels discussing how they will attack ThunderClan. Petalshine then notices two more cats, of ThunderClan heritage. These are Palecloud and Smokeflower, and they followed the WindClan cats into the tunnels. She helps Palelcloud and Smokeflower get out of the tunnels and WindClan hears that they are there, but never finds them and never found out who they were. Although she originally did not want to show herself to any cat, she does, and tells Smokeflower and Palecloud who she really is, in order to gain their trust.
Smokeflower's Silence Edit
- The battle against the Dark Forest is over, and the Clans are victorious. The camps are badly damaged though and some cats are close to death. Gorsefur leaves for the Moonpool right away, and leaves Petalshine in charge of ThunderClan while he is away. Petalshine painfully climbs up to the Highledge to announce to the Clan. She tells everyone to check their injuries and get them treated if needed to. Her eyes seem dull as if she has lost the ability to feel as she tells her Clanmates that they need them to be strong. If they have any injuries, it’s to be treated. She narrows her eyes at Hickorytuft, who is grieving over Iceleg's body. She says that counts for him too.
- Petalshine notices a commotion near the nursery, and asks what's going on. Smokeflower tells her that Duskflower is dead. The new deputy is baffled, stating she was fine before and didn't say anything about any injuries. She asks her Clanmates if anyone noticed her injuries. Icestorm tries to reassure Petalshine, saying if her injuries were that bad, there was nothing they could have done. Petalshine bursts out they could have tried. She reminds her Clanmates that she told them to check their injuries. Petalshine asks if they have done it yet, and panics that another cat will die, clearly stressing over her Clanmates safety. She soon tells Owlwhisker and Jayflight, who are try to rebuild the warriors' den, that they'll get nothing done, and should focus on resting before Gorsefur returns. Petalshine seems calmer now, more like a Clan deputy.
- When ThunderClan is ready to bury the fallen, Petalshine carries Flamestar's body alongside Icestorm, Cinderwhisker and Sunpelt. She also stands with Whitefeather beside Frostnose's body in grief, giving a moment silence for her foster mother. Her eyes are closed and shoulders hunched over in pain for the fallen warrior. She then raises her head, telling her Clanmates that they owe a debt to the fallen and it's up to each of them to make sure they did not die in vain. She looks to Flamestar and touches his cheek with her paw, whispering for him to sleep well. Quailpelt gives advice for burying the deceased, and Petalshine thanks him for sharing his knowledge. She asks if there is anything else. Quailpelt decides on a good spot to bury Sweetcloud, his fellow denmate.
- After the burials, Gorsestar returns. Petalshine limps over to the new leader, welcoming him back. She dips her head, seemingly in awe of him. Gorsestar notices the former Dark Forest trainees have not taken part of the burial, so Petalshine explains to him why. Her flicking tail betrays her discomfort on the subject. Two sunrises later, Smokeflower keeps expecting Gorsestar to sort out the rift between the Clan and the former Dark Forest trainees, but he is usually busy with Petalshine, sorting patrols and dens. Snowstar and Blossomcloud soon arrive at ThunderClan camp as Petalshine is amusing Hollypool's kits. She wanders over, asking if anything is wrong in ShadowClan. Snowstar says everything is fine.
- Two days later, Mosscloud asks Petalshine if he and Nightbreeze, Smokeflower, and Palecloud can go on hunting patrol, to which the deputy agrees to. Three days pass, and Petalshine wakes Smokeflower for dawn patrol, calling her a sleepy hedgehog. Smokeflower is sleepy as Icestorm has been keeping the Clan awake with her coughing, so the warrior moves to the apprentices’ den while the apprentices move in with Quailpelt. Petalshine decides to join Icestorm, since it will be too cold for her grandmother to sleep alone. Icestorm tries to protest, but Petalshine insists, blinking affectionately at her. On the way to the first Gathering after the battle, Smokeflower argues with Owlwhisker and Hailwhisker. Petalshine tells Smokeflower to stop and asks what's going on. She points out the full moon, saying that it's the night of the truce, and that includes within the Clans. She tells them to hurry as they’ll be late, and trots to Gorsestar. Back from the Gathering, Smokeflower mentions that Petalshine is going to build a second warriors' den as there is too many warriors for one den. Since Hazelgaze is going to take a nest in the warriors' den, Nightbreeze asks Petalshine if she can take a patrol to fetch bedding for her. Petalshine agrees, ordering her to take Smokeflower, Palecloud and Dewcloud with him. She instructs him to make sure the moss isn’t damp, and to hunt so they can collect feathers.
- Two days after, Hailwhisker falls sick so he moves to the apprentices' den with Icestorm. Petalshine decides to move out, stating that the sick cats can keep themselves awake. Although she gives a light-hearted comment, there a strain in her eyes, making Smokeflower wonder how many other cats will fall sick. About a quarter moon later, Petalshine's meow is quiet and husky as she tells the Clan to organise their own hunting patrols while she checks the borders. She runs into a clearing to find a dead fox on a trap, with some injured warriors. Realising they fought and killed the crazed fox, she asks Smokeflower if she is okay. Smokeflower says she is. They realize that the apprentices didn’t tell anyone about the trap, which made the fox crazy with pain. Petalshine asks why they didn't tell. The apprentices wanted the former Dark Forest trainees to be scared by the fox, but almost killed them.
- Petalshine has been described as the spitting image of her father, Nettletail, and was almost given his prefix, but Squirrelflight suggested Petal- because her pelt was as soft as a petal.
- However, Petalshine is a silver tabby whereas Nettletail is a dark gray tom.
- She has SkyClan blood through Oaktail, WindClan blood through Nettletail, and kittypet blood through Flamestar.
- Petalshine is a distant descendant of Windstar via Smokemist.
- She is scared of thunderstorms because of the confrontation with Hawkclaw.
- Petalshine has never had powers, and the third cat in the prophecy was Smokeflower.
- She was going to be one of the Three at first, but by book four, Vicky couldn't think of a power that fit her, so she decided not to make her one of the Three.
- Kate Cary confirmed on her Twitter that Petalshine and Sootclaw did love one another, and that they were mates until she rejoined ThunderClan. However, Vicky has said on multiple occasions that Petalshine and Sootclaw were not mates.
- If she had stayed in the tunnels, the two would have become mates.
- Kate thinks that Hawkclaw will forgive Petalshine for killing him once she joins StarClan. This is contradicted by Vicky, who says they will probably never forgive each other and will avoid each other in StarClan.
- She was the "Forgotten Warrior".
- When Gorsestar stood up for Petalshine, calling Hawkclaw's death a mistake, it was revealed by Vicky that he had never actually seen Petalshine kill Hawkclaw - he was just making the best deduction he could.
- Petalshine is shown with green eyes in The Ultimate Guide.
- Mosscloud and Petalshine did love each other, and if she hadn't left the Clan, they would have become mates.
- Vicky and Kate both think Mosscloud still loves Petalshine, even more than he loves Nightbreeze.
- However, Petalshine loves Pinetail.
Character Pixels Edit
Please do not edit this gallery
- "I want to be able to help the Clan. If I were a medicine cat I could heal my Clanmates when they were sick and I could share dreams with StarClan. As a warrior I could feed the Clan and defend it- I would die to protect the Clan if I had to- but as a warrior I would be limited to fighting with tooth and claw. As a medicine cat I could fight with all the knowledge and power of StarClan. What better way could there be to serve ThunderClan?"
- —Petalkit to Whitefeather The Sight, pages 78-79
- "I'm sorry...I was only trying to do what was best. I couldn't let Hawkclaw live! For all our sakes! You understand that, don't you?"
- —Petalshine to Nightbreeze and Squirrelfern Sunset, page 313
- "She knows how tough life can be, and she still keeps going."
- —Palecloud's thoughts on Petalshine The Forgotten Warrior, page 273